Objective of the (Division of) Design
Studying design is a way of improving your quality of life by discovering creative, constructive and original solutions to problems. This can be done by researching all aspects of our lives and visual problems and through reasonable problem-solving processes. The School of Design was reorganized in 2011 by consolidating the Digital Design Course and the Space Design Course which were founded in 2002 and 2003 respectively, with the objectives to “nurture talents equipped with integrated design thinking skills” and to “create new design values through retraining. To achieve these objectives, the School has established a policy to provide “education based on concept creation, interdisciplinary education, online/offline cooperative education, sophisticated design education.”
1. Provides a wide range of majors, and is the only school to provide subdivided and specialized education among all remote universities in the world.
- Space Design (Subdivided into: Space Design, Scenography)
- Visual Communication Design(Subdivided into: Graphic Design, Digital Media Design)
- Industrial Design
- Design Theory
- The largest design school among all remote universities in the world.
2. Is the only school that offers and has characterized the below majors among all remote universities in Korea.
- Space Design: Korea’s only major related to environment design and interior architecture (Founded in 2003.).
- Industrial Design: Korea’s only major related to product and living designs (Founded in 2011.).
- Design: Korea’s only major related to design theory and design management (Founded in 2011.).
3. The majors are divided into practical- and theory-based majors.
- Practical-based majors: Space Design, Visual Communication Design, Industrial Design (Practical component: 60%)
- Theory-based majors: Design(Practical component: 10%)
4. Has the largest number of theoretical and practical subjects in Design, among all universities in Korea.
- Provides a wider range of design-related theoretical subjects than any offline universities in Korea.
- The subjects include Design Management, Design Marketing, Design Ideas, Design Research and Methods, Design Culture, Traditional Culture.
- The School offers graduate school-level teaching in design theory.
5. Offers customized courses through interdisciplinary lectures.
- Students can choose from all subjects within the School of Design.
- They are allowed to change their majors up to once a year, among the four major courses offered by the School.
- The School offers interdisciplinary lectures, such as joint lectures in the main subjects.
6. Integrated online/offline education
- Holds graduation exhibitions and publishes graduation exhibition booklets offline, both twice every year.
- Provides special lectures offline by full-time professor and renowned hands-on designers.
- Runs programs to improve practical skills of students that have no practical experience, instructed by the professors.
- The professors provide offline instruction for various theory- and practical-based groups.
Progressing into Graduate Schools
- Much higher graduate school entrance rate than offline universities (Average: 15~20%).
- Graduates successfully progress into prominent graduate schools in Seoul, including those at Konkuk, Kookmin, Sookmyung Women’s Universities, University of Seoul, Ehwa, Hanyang, Hongik Universities.
Careers after Graduation
Graduates of the School of Design take an active part in the society.
- Practical Design (Practical Design): interior architecture and environment design firms, architecture firms, constructors, space development firms, urban and public design firms, exhibition design firms.
- Space Design(Scenography): visual merchandising(VMD) departments in fashion, cosmetics and franchise firms, promotional strategy departments in all firms, furniture and illumination design firms, party planning firms, etc.
- Visual Communication Design(Graphic Design): graphic design firms, advertising agencies, advertisement, publication and editorial design firms, corporation(CI) and brand identity(BI) firms, illustration firms(as freelancers), public relations and planning offices in enterprises.
- Visual Communication Design(Digital Media Design): image design firms, advertisement image, broadcasting title, animation producers, game design firms, animation producers, commercial film(CF) producers and studios, advertising agencies, advertisement design firms.
- Industrial Design: product design firms, public firms, environment design firms, product development departments in all firms, furniture design firms and digital-based venture companies.
- Design: establishing design firms, design management departments in various firms, design management consulting firms, brand development firms, design-related departments in various firms.